Vericatch develops catch reporting and seafood traceability software.
At Vericatch, our team is committed to building fishery data software that positively impacts the fishing industry and our environment. Our work with electronic reporting, fishery management analytics, and supply chain systems brings the true benefits of responsible fishing back to the fishing industry.
We were founded in 2006 by fishermen and technologists who saw the benefits of working together to improve the profitability and sustainability of the industry. Today, Vericatch continues to embody the diverse talents and skills of our founders while leveraging experience from fishermen, leading marine science organizations and global technology companies.
At Vericatch we believe that great data is at the core of sustainable fisheries management. We want to help fisheries succeed by partnering with industry and stakeholders to leverage value from fishing data. This is why we listen carefully and work closely with global and local stakeholders to build strong relationships, and create products that are easy to use, low cost and flexible to fit each unique fishery.
Together, we’re building a better future. Sustainability starts with information – we are proud to design, develop, and support solutions that contribute to the sustainability of the fishing industry and the communities it supports.
Information is transformative, and we are committed to creating tools that build a better future for the fishing industry and our world.
About the Role
- Be an integral member of the design, development and deployment of our products.
- Participate with a small, dedicated team in full product lifecycle activities: estimating, planning, designing, coding, documenting and testing.
- Develop front-end website architectures.
- Develop user interactions on web pages that are standards-compliant, crossbrowser compatible, and performance optimized.
- Develop back-end website applications.
- Creating servers and databases in support of functionality.
- Ensure cross-platform optimization for mobile devices.
- Ensure responsiveness of applications.
- Design and developing APIs.
- Design and implementation of continuous integration and deployment.
- Perform stress and automation tests on developed code to ensure reliability and durability.
- Support of existing websites and applications for enhanced performance and efficiency.
- Always maintain a high standard of functionality, simplicity, beautification, and user experience in your work.
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 10+ years full stack engineering experience in a production environment.
- Hands-on technical team leader.
- Comfortable constructing a solid architectural design in order to convert loose requirements into a final product.
- Deployed customer-facing software into a Production Environment.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Creative and intuitive thinker who works well individually as well as in a team environment.
- Familiarity with Web frameworks including ReactJS.
- Familiarity with Jira, GitHub, Firebase, DigitalOcean and / or AWS and Ansible.
- Proficiency with Ruby on the Rails and Python.
- Proficiency with APIs and RESTful Web Services.
- Familiarity with database technology including PostGreSQL.
- Familiarity with unit and acceptance testing including RSpec and Capybara.
- Familiarity with GIS and maps (PostGIS) as well as image processing and uploading (Libvips, Shrine, S3) would be an asset.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
Applicants must reside in the Greater Vancouver Area.
Please apply by sending your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.