Vericatch develops catch reporting and seafood traceability software.
At Vericatch, our team is committed to building fishery data software that positively impacts the fishing industry and our environment. Our work with electronic reporting, fishery management analytics, and supply chain systems brings the true benefits of responsible fishing back to the fishing industry.
We were founded in 2006 by fishermen and technologists who saw the benefits of working together to improve the profitability and sustainability of the industry. Today, Vericatch continues to embody the diverse talents and skills of our founders while leveraging experience from fishermen, leading marine science organizations and global technology companies.
At Vericatch we believe that great data is at the core of sustainable fisheries management. We want to help fisheries succeed by partnering with industry and stakeholders to leverage value from fishing data. This is why we listen carefully and work closely with global and local stakeholders to build strong relationships, and create products that are easy to use, low cost and flexible to fit each unique fishery.
Together, we’re building a better future. Sustainability starts with information – we are proud to design, develop, and support solutions that contribute to the sustainability of the fishing industry and the communities it supports.
Information is transformative, and we are committed to creating tools that build a better future for the fishing industry and our world.
About the Role
- Be an integral member of the design, development and deployment of our products.
- Participate with a small, dedicated team in full product lifecycle activities: estimating, planning, designing, coding, documenting and testing.
- In consideration of market needs and available technologies, lead the design of state of-the-art solutions intended to disrupt the industry!
- Lead the team in the high-level design, component break-down, and detailed designs of an end-to-end, top-to-bottom product solution.
- Lead the technical decision-making process of buy vs build and open-source vs home grown proprietary components which will address the market’s needs.
- You are passionate about building beautiful products; products whose elegant design inspire others
- Because of your strong technical depth and keen technical intuition, others tend to follow your lead and soon learn to trust your judgement unequivocally
- Your willingness to roll up your sleeves and do whatever is needed to get the job done is in your DNA
- You work well with others both in a team environment and one-on-one; people like to work with you
- Over your career, you have built up a deep and broad knowledge of the Software Design and Development industry
- Because of your top-to-bottom, hands-on, expertise, you can comfortably advise in the design choices from UI/UX through frontend design, backend technologies, device drivers and hardware design considerations.
- Because of your passion for creating elegant code, you still end up developing some of the trickiest components yourself.
- Degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- At least 15 years hands-on experience developing SW from layers 7 to 1
- At least 5 years experience as the technical lead or software architect/design authority • Hands experience with RoR, Web frameworks including ReactJS
- Knowledgeable about Linux OS distributions and pros/cons for given applications • Experience in embedded real time and low power wireless applications, a plus • Experienced in the design choices for database technologies, streaming interfaces and middleware software
- Proficiency with APIs and RESTful Web Services.
- Familiarity/knowledgeable with cloud and mobile technologies and their solutions/architectures
- Familiarity with database technologies including PostGreSQL.
Applicants must reside in the Greater Vancouver Area.
Please apply by sending your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.